“These words I am commanding you today must be kept in mind, and you must teach them to your children and speak of them as you sit in your house, as you walk along the road, as you lie down, and as you get up.” –Deuteronomy 6:6-7
To expose the candidates to a full and well-rounded Messianic Jewish education preparing them to become independent, faithful followers of G-d and responsible members of the Messianic Jewish community.
Our instructors take seriously the awesome responsibility of G-d’s command from the Shema.
The Bar/Bat Mitzvah program is a multi-year course open to children ages 10 to 13 of member families.
Instruction includes in-depth studies in the following areas:
- The cycle of Biblical Feasts
- Jewish traditions, culture, and history
- Messianic Jewish theology
- A survey of the Torah, Prophets, Writings, and B’rit Chadashah
- Prophesies of Messiah and their fulfillment in Yeshua
- History of the Jewish people
- The importance of G-d’s timetable for Israel
- Character traits of G-d
- Weekly Scripture Memorization
The program also includes intensive Hebrew instruction preparing our candidates to read their Torah portions directly from the Torah scroll and read their Haftarah portions in Hebrew. The training in the Torah and Haftarah readings, as well as the preparation for chanting the Shabbat liturgy, are done directly from Hebrew without transliteration.
Practical Understanding of Portions
An understanding and application of G-d’s Word is displayed by the candidates as they discuss their interpretations by delivering a drasha (speech) of their Torah, Haftarah, and B’rit Chadashah portions.
In addition to class work, the candidates and their families are encouraged to be involved in Beth Hallel sponsored community service activities such as:
- Serving at the homeless shelter
- Serving at a retirement home
- Helping elderly members of the congregation
- Assisting in activities in the synagogue like building the sukkah, helping run stations at the Purim party or volunteering to help construct the Yom HaShoah display
The program leads to the continued spiritual growth of the candidates as they take their places in the Messianic Jewish community.
Our students are successfully:
- Learning the Hebrew liturgy and understanding what it means.
- Celebrating the Jewish Feasts and knowing why we do what we do as Jews.
- Understanding that Yeshua is the center of our worship and the fulfillment of the Biblical Feasts.
- Seeing news headlines about events in Israel and recognizing the “big picture” of G-d’s concern and protection for His people.
- Confirming their places in our local congregation (some going on to lead our Shabbat services and our Shabbat liturgy) as well as the national and international Messianic Jewish Movement by taking positions of service and leadership.
In the Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program at Congregation Beth Hallel, we see the fruit of our efforts in raising our children as 100% Jewish and 100% Messianic:
“Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” –Proverbs 22:6
For more information, our bar/bat mitzvah instructors can be reached at email@example.com.